Ahi Poke Avocado Boats
Start 2021 the right way, the healthy way. Another lockdown may seem like a setback but we can still make changes in our lives for the better, to keep moving forward. It’s becoming more widely accepted with a growing body of evidence indicating that nutrition plays a crucial role in not only our physical but mental wellbeing too.
This January lets learn some new healthy recipes! For this week I thought that something simple, nutritious and oh so delicious would be a welcome to start. How do Ahi Poke (pronounced “POH-keh.”) and Avocado boats sound?
On Social media, and up until recently, pop up stores all over the UK have been introducing people to Poke bowls – Hawaii’s favourite dish. A dish formed out of Hawaii’s culinary melting pot, that includes a healthy input from Japan’s flavours, Poke in Hawaiian means “to slice or cut”, a reference to its ease of creation.
Relatively inexpensive, quick & easy and oh so customisable, there are probably hundreds of variations that you can whip up of a poke bowl. What’s not to love? Let’s dive right in.
What you’ll need:
TOJIRO SENKOU 10cm Deba Knife for the Ahi tuna. This Deba knife is ideal for making sushi and sashimi at home as well.
Food processor or Mortar & Pestle.
Sturdy chopping board
- 2 large sashimi grade Ahi tuna steaks roughly – 500/600 grams
- 1/2 cup chopped spring onion
- 1 shallot
- 3 soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 3 avocados sliced, halved and pitted
- 1 lime (for the juice)
Homemade chilli garlic sauce
- 75 – 100g of Chilli
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Slice the avocados into half, removing the seed and setting aside (squeeze a bit of lime onto the halved avocados to keep them from browning).
- Pat the tuna dry with a towel. Then, with the very sharp Tojiro Senkou Deba Knife knife cut the tuna into small half-inch cubes, transfer them to a large bowl.
3. Chop the spring onion & finely slice the shallots. Add to a large bowl.
4. Add the soy sauce, rice vinegar, homemade chilli garlic sauce and sesame seeds to the bowl and give it a good toss with a wooden spoon.
5. Serve immediately by placing the tuna chilli mixture onto the avocado halves.
Although the Deba knife can look and feel like a heavy chopping knife this knife is a delicate sharp blade that cuts through skin, scales and flesh with effortless ease with each stroke. In fact, although the design of the TOJIRO SENKOU 10cm Deba Knife features a noticeable weight that would not be different from a heavy chopper (the back end of the blade is perfect for fish heads) it is, in fact, a general-purpose single-bladed knife.
To all you lefties out there (me included) you’ll need to be extra careful when using your unconventional right hand when slicing through the fish. Tojiro Senkou doesn’t typically offer their Deba knives for left-handers. But rest assured our other brands do offer left-handed Deba knives for those purists out there!
Be mindful of your fingers and of course the weight and pressure you place as you stroke through the tuna. The single bevel feature is common amongst Japanese knives, making it extremely sharp and allowing long precise cuts to correct the natural inward cutting action.
Homemade chilli garlic sauce
- Soak the chilli in hot water for 20mins, remove and drain on a paper towel.
- De-stem and finely slice the chillies and place in a food processor or mortar and pestle along with the seeds. The more seeds you add the spicier it will be.
- Dice the garlic and place into the mortar and pestle. Add the vinegar and sugar.
- In a mortar & a pestle or in a food processor, pound or process ingredients until you get a coarse paste mix. Do not add any water. Using no water ensures that this paste will store for a longer time.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
You may serve your homemade chilli & garlic paste immediately but if you give it time (roughly 4 hours to overnight) the flavours really get to know each other and meld into something truly special!
I recommend eating your poke boats immediately for maximum freshness!